×
Follow Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Neta Certs...why are they valid?

Go to latest post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    #11
  1. Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    25
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by dnigra View Post
    I was just informed that the cert is only good for the company you acquired it at. In other words if I get new job...I'll no longer be a level 2 certified?

    Thanks

    dan
    I've been employed by 3 different testing companies now and the NETA certifications can move with you as long as the company that you are moving to is an accredited NETA company. I believe that all the new company has to do is to take your NETA Certification number and submit to NETA that you now work for their company.

  2. #12
  3. Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    18
    Reputation

    NETA Certification Timelines

    Some key points from the NETAworld.org FAQ:

    Q. I am a Level 2, 3, or 4 Certified Technician, but was dropped to Level 1, what happened?

    A. Technicians who do not meet the requirements for recertification by the three-year deadline will lose their certification.

    Q. How can I make sure that I am recertified?

    A. Technicians who are a certified Level 2, 3, or 4 technician are offered three methods to recertify every three years.
    1. Earn the requisite number of Continuing Technical Development (CTD) credits.
    2. Retake the current level of certification.
    3. Advance to the next level of certification by meeting all requirements and passing that exam.

    Q. If I lose my certification, is there a grace period in which to earn it back?

    A. Yes. If you fail to recertify by the deadline through CTD credits or by taking the certification exam, NETA allows you up 12 months in which to retake the certification exam for the level of certification lost. However, during this grace period, you will be listed as a Level 1 Technician on your company's roster and will not receive a card or certificate until you are fully recertified.

    Q. What if an unexpected life event prevented me from obtaining all of the required CTD credits?

    A. Please contact your NETA Accredited Representative or Technician Representative to discuss your unique situation. They may choose to contact the NETA Office on your behalf.


    As with the last question, each situation is unique and NETA organization will work with individuals to maintain certifications. I recently lost my NETA III cert due to obtaining my degree in B.S. Electrical Engineering because I didn't maintain my CTD credits, but was given NETA II since it was only 3 years. It is up to your new company NETA Accredited Representative to argue your case for you, as NETA does not wish to hear directly from technicians.

  4. #13
  5. SecondGen's Avatar
    SecondGen is offline
    I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    254
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbi_Rob View Post
    I recently lost my NETA III cert due to obtaining my degree in B.S. Electrical Engineering because I didn't maintain my CTD credits, but was given NETA II since it was only 3 years.
    >Obtaining Electrical Engineering degree does not qualify as CTD.

    smh

  6. #14
  7. SecondGen's Avatar
    SecondGen is offline
    I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    254
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbi_Rob View Post
    Q. How can I make sure that I am recertified?
    1. Earn the requisite number of Continuing Technical Development (CTD) credits.
    As technicians there isn't much we can do on our own to maintain CTD, at least on the cheap. Training is usually expensive and is facilitated through the company you work for. Only way I can think is to take advantage of the free webinars that offer CTD credits. AVO and Megger hold them often:

    http://www.avotraining.com/resources/webinars
    https://us.megger.com/company/webinars

    Please post if anyone knows of other ways to get CTD.

  8. #15
  9. Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    18
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    As technicians there isn't much we can do on our own to maintain CTD, at least on the cheap. Training is usually expensive and is facilitated through the company you work for. Only way I can think is to take advantage of the free webinars that offer CTD credits. AVO and Megger hold them often:

    http://www.avotraining.com/resources/webinars
    https://us.megger.com/company/webinars

    Please post if anyone knows of other ways to get CTD.
    Also, SEL University and Valence Relay training, but not cheap:

    https://selinc.com/selu/
    https://relaytraining.com/online-pro...y-training-v3/

    So, as for degrees, only specific courses are eligible for CTD, so they wouldn't except my degree for more than one year of experience because of this.

  10. #16
  11. Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    4
    Reputation
    Hey Guys,

    I recruit for NETA technician roles for a number of clients and I speak with NETA technicians transitioning from employers on a daily basis. From my experiences many companies will accommodate you working your way back up to your respective NETA level. so if your a level 2 and since lost your cert you shouldn't have any issue getting on board with a new company at a respectable rate.

    From what I've heard you have 6 months after leaving your current NETA company to find another NETA company to work for or you will have to retest.

    (shamless plug) I do have a number of locations looking for NETA/testing technicians if you guys know of anyone good looking.

  12. #17
  13. GreenHornet is offline
    Riddle me this Batman
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3
    Reputation

    is neta cert neeed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Logan_NES View Post
    Hey Guys,

    I recruit for NETA technician roles for a number of clients and I speak with NETA technicians transitioning from employers on a daily basis. From my experiences many companies will accommodate you working your way back up to your respective NETA level. so if your a level 2 and since lost your cert you shouldn't have any issue getting on board with a new company at a respectable rate.

    From what I've heard you have 6 months after leaving your current NETA company to find another NETA company to work for or you will have to retest.

    (shamless plug) I do have a number of locations looking for NETA/testing technicians if you guys know of anyone good looking.
    plug is it ac or dc?
    anyway do you find that most companies want neta techs?

  14. #18
  15. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    6
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by codycody103 View Post
    Although i like what NETA stands for, i think its a big scam and money grab to be honest...
    Agree! Just because you can study well and retain information does not mean you can go in the field and use all the equipment or even have a clue how to test anything! I knew a tester who was wicked smart took the 3 and 4 text back to back and passed. But he could test anything! He had no working knowledge of test equipment or really what text equipment was needed for different jobs. But his theory was solid lol!

  16. #19
  17. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    25
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectK View Post
    The company you receive your certification at has to update your certification with the main office every year, why your card only shows it being valid for a year.

    If you leave the company, and immediately go to another NETA company, they can file paperwork with the main office to transfer your certification.

    If you leave the company, and you don't go to another NETA company right away, your previous company can either keep your certification updated(which more than likely requires payment to the NETA main office) or stop updating it.
    thank you for this info.

  18. #20
  19. Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    4
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
    plug is it ac or dc?
    anyway do you find that most companies want neta techs?
    @GreenHornet that's actually a punny joke!

    But I find most companies Neta affiliated or not would choose a Neta or at least pay more for a Neta tech over someone who is not (everything else considered being the same of course).

    It is a strong addition to any Electrical Tester's resume. Another thing I see is technician's leaving it off their resume once it expires, don't do that! if you've held a Neta cert in the last 3-5 years I feel it's worth listing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe

Login or register to leave a reply!




Related Content

Tags for this Thread

Follow us


Explore TestGuy


NETA Certification Training


NICET Electrical Power Testing


Help and Support