Follow Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Neta Certs...why are they valid?

Jump to latest post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Neta Certs...why are they valid?

I was just informed that the cert is only good for the company you acquired it at. In other words if I get new job...I'll no longer be a level 2 certified?

Thanks

dan

3. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    From what I understand, you are correct. All of that hard work that went into that certification goes out the window once you leave your company. If you go to another NETA company you probably wont loose it but anywhere else and you are SOL.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dnigra View Post
    I was just informed that the cert is only good for the company you acquired it at. In other words if I get new job...I'll no longer be a level 2 certified?

Thanks

dan
    Who told you this information? I know of at least 2 guys who left the company I am at and went to another company and were still NETA 2 certified.

-Joe

7. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsquirl84 View Post
    Who told you this information? I know of at least 2 guys who left the company I am at and went to another company and were still NETA 2 certified.

-Joe
    Are both companies NETA?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsquirl84 View Post

-Joe
    Yes, both companies are NETA. I was told your NETA cert is good even if you leave a NETA company, but only for 1 year. So if you do not work for a NETA company within a year it gets taken away

11. Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Very helpful. That's pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks again!

Level 3 Certified Button Pusher
    The company you receive your certification at has to update your certification with the main office every year, why your card only shows it being valid for a year.

If you leave the company, and immediately go to another NETA company, they can file paperwork with the main office to transfer your certification.

If you leave the company, and you don't go to another NETA company right away, your previous company can either keep your certification updated(which more than likely requires payment to the NETA main office) or stop updating it.

15. Join Date
    Jan 2017

Thanks

dan
    Although i like what NETA stands for, i think its a big scam and money grab to be honest...

17. Join Date
    Sep 2017

Thanks

dan
    Correct. If you want a cert to travel with you it needs to be from NICET. Look them up at nicet.org

ElectricalTestTech is offline NETA Level IV
    Affiliate Member
    Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    Correct. If you want a cert to travel with you it needs to be from NICET. Look them up at nicet.org
    NETA certifications travel with you to another NETA contractor. And I believe you have something like 5 years of not working for a NETA contractor before it expires.

The whole point of this certification is to let customers know that you know what your doing. That you didn't quit your NETA job 15 years ago and are getting back into the field. All of the information we know as Test Technicians is on a use or lose basis. They want certified people to remain current with technology and equipment.

So call it a scam or whatever. But it keeps the value of a certified technician up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe

Share this thread