Follow Us

Problem running ratio test with Megger multitap CT test set

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Problem running ratio test with Megger multitap CT test set

I am using a Megger multitap CT tester MCT1605 on a Single tap CT. The test set is able to run through insulation resistance, winding resistance and saturation but when it gets into the ratio test the set goes in to fault mode and has to be rebooted.

The test set also asks to check the test lead connection. I swapped and changed the leads, used different channels and changed the test configuration matching the channels I am using.

Now I think I have tried all of my options. Does someone know if there is a trick I am missing or something I have to do to make this thing work? Please advise.

madMAX is offline Seasoned Member
    Sounds like an internal problem with whatever component runs the ratio check. If it were a test lead problem I'd imagine you wouldn't be able to run the other tests either.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Anyone have any luck running this test set from power db? I get it to detect but it fails to connect. Any thoughts? Or is this set a boat anchor like the other Megger sets?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Works better as an anchor

We also have a CT test set from Megger. (The MRCT) I quit using it but I do remember that you have to use channels 1 and 5 for a single ratio CT instead of 1 and 2. We have been able to use it from inside of DB but no one here likes it. I've had a lot of trouble trying to test CT's inside of transformers with it. The test set will run anywhere from 10 to 45 mins on the "demag" function and sometimes won't ever make it past there. But I never ran into the problem you are having except when we first started using it and tried terminals 1&2 instead of 1&5.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by adamwilson View Post
    Anyone have any luck running this test set from power db? I get it to detect but it fails to connect. Any thoughts? Or is this set a boat anchor like the other Megger sets?
    Which version of powerdb are you using? I was told by tech support that my version (10.5.4 professional) will not run it, they suggest upgrading to version 11.0.3 or downloading powerdb lite, which is free.

http://www2.powerdb.us/index.php?opt...d=2&Itemid=148

FYI use a different computer or user account for the download to avoid strange things from happening to your main powerdb install due to conflicts between the two versions. You might have to run the test and then transfer the powerdb lite forms afterwards via flash drive into the main powerdb professional version. A royal pain, I know.

11. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Did you try the “MRCT” test form in PowerDb professional database? This test sheet is specialized for the test set.

You will need to setup your computer to automatically obtain an IP address before trying to connect to the test set. If you have trouble doing this or don’t know how, try this link -> http://www.linksys.com/us/support-ar...icleNum=142984

PowerDb > Virtual Front Panel > General > MRCT

1. Open the MRCT test sheet as you would any other sheet.
    2. Once test set is connected, select button on top left to connect to the unit.
    3. You will then find the home screen turns into a virtual control panel.
    4. During testing, PowerDb will auto populate the form for you depending on your prior selections.

Subscribe

Share this thread