Follow Us

Looking for chart on soil types for ground resistance testing

Jump to latest post
    madMAX is offline Seasoned Member
    Looking for chart on soil types for ground resistance testing

When doing ground resistance tests (3-point, fall-of-potential, earth resistance, etc.) I have to list the soil type on my test sheet. How can you quickly identify soil type by looking at it? I always have a hard time filling this out. Does anyone have a table or reference sheet of common soil types that will make things easier?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Great post, this PDF has a lot of really good information on making and interpreting ground resistance measurements. As far as the soil types go I was able to extract the following:

• Ashes, brine, or cinders
    • Concrete (below ground)
    • Clay, gumbo, loam, or shale
    • Clay, gumbo, loam, or shale with varying portions of sand and gravel
    • Gravel, sand, or stone with little clay or loam

This helps point me in the right direction but how can I identify this stuff just by looking at it? and what the heck is gumbo?! Well, the paper does explain that one:

“Gumbo” is soil composed of fine-grain clays. When wet, the soil is highly plastic, very sticky, and has a soapy appearance. When dried, it develops large shrinkage cracks.

It would be nice to find descriptions like this for the other types listed. Thanks again for the help.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by madMAX View Post
    Great post, this PDF has a lot of really good information on making and interpreting ground resistance measurements. As far as the soil types go I was able to extract the following:

• Ashes, brine, or cinders
    • Concrete (below ground)
    • Clay, gumbo, loam, or shale
    • Clay, gumbo, loam, or shale with varying portions of sand and gravel
    • Gravel, sand, or stone with little clay or loam

This helps point me in the right direction but how can I identify this stuff just by looking at it? and what the heck is gumbo?! Well, the paper does explain that one:

“Gumbo” is soil composed of fine-grain clays. When wet, the soil is highly plastic, very sticky, and has a soapy appearance. When dried, it develops large shrinkage cracks.

It would be nice to find descriptions like this for the other types listed. Thanks again for the help.
    No problem!
    Here are some others I found for visual identification. (I can't seem to find any with pictures included though)
    http://water.epa.gov/polwaste/nps/upload/app6.pdf
    https://www.osha.gov/dts/sltc/method...d194/id194.pdf
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...reTriangle.jpg

These are golden. Thank you soooo much, exactly what I was seeking! The first PDF shows actual tests you can do in the field to determine the soil type, very informative. Everyone who does ground testing should give them a look.

11. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    soil types

found this helpful:

1. Sandy

Sandy soil has the largest particles among the different soil types. It’s dry and gritty to the touch, and because the particles have huge spaces between them, it can’t hold on to water.

2. Silty

Silty soil has much smaller particles than sandy soil so it’s smooth to the touch. When moistened, it’s soapy slick. When you roll it between your fingers, dirt is left on your skin.

3. Clay

Clay soil has the smallest particles among the three so it has good water storage qualities. It’s sticky to the touch when wet, but smooth when dry.

4. Peaty

Peaty soil is dark brown or black in color, soft, easily compressed due to its high water content, and rich in organic matter.

5. Saline Soil

The soil in extremely dry regions is usually brackish because of its high salt content.

6. Loam

Loamy soil contains a balance of all three soil materials—silt, sand and clay—plus humus. Loam is dark in color and is mealy—soft, dry and crumbly—in your hands.

http://agverra.com/blog/soil-types

13. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchIsChompa View Post
    Google soil types in your area.

15. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Never had a thought about this working in our area 95% of the time the answer is Loam.

Subscribe

Share this thread