Follow Us

When to start studying for NETA Level 3?

Jump to latest post
    kenner14 is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    When to start studying for NETA Level 3?

when should you start studying for the NETA III??? I just passed my II and wont take the III for about a year.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2015
    I would start right away. The information on the LVL III is so vast that you can start preparing right away and that way ensure that you are ready. It very different from LVL 2 and it covers a wider variety of specifics in the industry including more Codes and STDS as well as mathematics.

kenner14 is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    NETA III

yep I think that's a good idea, since I took my practice exam and didn't do very well.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Keep hammering away at the practice exams and study up on the questions you get wrong. Don't just try to find the right answer, read up on the material. Check out the study guide on this site. You should have no problem passing if you follow these steps. If you need help post a new topic in the forum and someone will try to lead you in the right direction.

Cabinet Rat Neta Level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by kenner14 View Post
    when should you start studying for the NETA III??? I just passed my II and wont take the III for about a year.
    The type of work you do helps on passing the test,they should work hand in hand not just remembering questions.which brings up a question I have about relay testing ,some techs only know how to test with automatic test modules.Because they do not know how to test relays manually ,except a couple of the easy ones.Do you think I "am being to hard by saying they should not be allowed out in the field until they can test relays manually ,that way they know the works of the relay.

11. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry5443 View Post
    The type of work you do helps on passing the test,they should work hand in hand not just remembering questions.
    This is a very good point, much of the knowledge required to pass the NETA level 3 exam comes from field experience. If you don't reference the NETA standards daily then you wont naturally remember them, which is why people have a hard time memorizing recommended test voltages and value tolerances, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry5443 View Post
    Do you think I "am being to hard by saying they should not be allowed out in the field until they can test relays manually ,that way they know the works of the relay.
    I wouldn't say so. In my opinion this kind of training is essential in order to understand the theory behind what you are doing. Another good example is transformers. Modern day TTR, winding resistance, and CT test sets require very little skill to operate. Every new technician should learn the manual way of measuring ratios with a wind up single phase TTR and how to check polarity with a car battery.

13. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    senior tech

How many years do you have in the field and how hard was it?

enkriptix is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    How long did you study for NETA II?

Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by veracon0700 View Post
    I wouldn't say so. In my opinion this kind of training is essential in order to understand the theory behind what you are doing. Another good example is transformers. Modern day TTR, winding resistance, and CT test sets require very little skill to operate. Every new technician should learn the manual way of measuring ratios with a wind up single phase TTR and how to check polarity with a car battery.
    It's funny you say that, as I watch numerous techs struggle to understand the results from a Doble M4000 after having dealt with the M2H and hand calculating values. Or having to manually test a CT with a voltage supply and 2 multimeters to plot excitation, then watching technicians trying to use the EZCT and not understanding how the results are directly a result of the input voltage/current and what the graph should look like.
    These new test sets are nice, because you literally can be a monkey pushing buttons, but when $#%t hits the fan, you need to understand what is going on. Sometimes you just need to throw some old school elbow grease at the problem.

Subscribe

Share this thread