Follow Us

Regulated voltage for powering up test sets?

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Regulated voltage for powering up test sets?

Sometimes we have to test in construction environments and there hardly ever an option for test set power other than on-site temporary. Of course everyone is using power tools, which causes fluctuating voltage/currents back at the test set.

I know some companies will rent large generators but I am not so fortunate. Only a few of us even have 2kW units on the truck. Just wondering how many of you guys are actually supplied with dedicated power sources when you test, and if not, how do you compensate?

3. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Back in the 80's we used to carry Sola isolation transformers to smooth out input voltage. Have not really had input voltages fluctuate enough lately that the newer test sets could not handle it. If we are having circuits constantly trip due to other contractors, generally the electrical contractors we work with are willing to help out with a dedicated circuit.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Guess I should have mentioned I'm talking about using equipment from the 80's, lol. The newer test sets do have better power supply's on them that filter input voltage pretty well. I mainly run into problems when using the older Biddle hi-pots. It is very frustrating when you are doing a 15 min withstand test and your test voltage starts bouncing around. A 1:1 isolation transformer is a good idea, thanks for that.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    How long have you been in the trade Arnold?

Quote Originally Posted by ARNOLD ZIFFEL View Post
    Back in the 80's we used to carry Sola isolation transformers to smooth out input voltage.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cjones09 View Post
    How long have you been in the trade Arnold?
    I started during Ronny Reagan's Presidency, When relay test sets weighed about as much as a Smart Car. Circuit breaker analyzers required clamping down a #2 pencil onto a rotating paper drum chart. Doble sets had analog meters (most meters were analog). The oldest relay that I saw still in service was an overcurrent with a lead weight on a chain, instead of spiral spring return. If it was too slow on the curve, file some lead off. If it was too fast, dip it in melted fishing line weights.

Subscribe

Share this thread