Follow Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How hard is the NETA level 3 test compared to level 2?

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo Slice View Post
    Are you taking the level III soon?
    yes at the end of july.

3. Kimbo Slice is offline Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by mikep21 View Post
    yes at the end of july.
    Good luck Mike!!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    Check out this thread for the official NETA Level III exam category list from 2000 -> http://testguy.net/threads/1295-NETA...st-Spring-2000 It may be 15 years old but it can give you an idea of how the test is structured. They might throw anywhere from one to three questions from each category at you in any combination, I think all of the tests are different.
    yea im sure every test is different but looks look like a good base in areas to study. appreciate the help. thanks!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Having taken both tests i feel the level 3 was much harder than 2. I failed level 3 the first time by 2 questions, i retake it July 30. Good luck to you!

9. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    are the questions on the practice test similar to the real thing? i am taking a level 2 test Monday and am curious about these practice exams..

11. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    level 2 is very similar to the practice tests in my experience...level 3 i saw some of the the same questions as practice tests, but maybe only 5-10 tops.

13. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Do you remember any of the other 60 questions that you didn't see on the practice test? I will be taking my level 3 test soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kbryant777 View Post
    level 2 is very similar to the practice tests in my experience...level 3 i saw some of the the same questions as practice tests, but maybe only 5-10 tops.

15. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Depends

I would say it depends on your background. I agree that it is a lot harder than Level II. I have been in system protection and control (relay) for 33+ years and I failed the NETA III test the first time. I never did any cable testing, nor did I do any insulation testing of equipment, or test switch gear. I have always worked for a Utility company and now am retired from the utility and working as a relay contractor. I would say the test is about 10% relay and the rest cable testing, equipment testing, etc. As a contractor, I am required to get NETA III certified. I am still only doing relay work. I have to memorize all the stuff that I will never use or do to get NETA III certified. NETA III should be more specialized and have separate certifications for relay.

17. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    It has almost everything to do with your background and field experience. If you are someone who doesn't get the opportunity to do a wide array of testing the NETA Level III can prove to be very challenging. With that said, I have seen guys who don't even know how to operate a relay test set pass their first try.

19. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Exactly

Yes sir madMax, that is exactly my point. There is not enough relay questions to relay "certify" someone as a NETA III relay technician. I passed the NETA III this morning but only due to a lot of "memorizing" codes and specs of things I have never worked on or really know anything about..............but, hey now I R certified NETA level III to come in and work on something I am still nowhere near qualified to work on. I can do just about anything associated with relays, new and old. Could I go out and test cables in front of a client and present an image that the client feels good because he requested me due to my NETA III certification? Absolutely not! It is the same with a NETA III certified relay technician. When I interview candidates for relay work and they tell me they are NETA certified, I just laugh and say "and how does that impress me?"

So basically, if you are good at memorization, have the time to take about 30 - 40 practice exams (yes, by the way, they absolutely help and are great study material), then you could pass and really never have worked in the industry other than you having to sign the statement that you have at least 5 years of experience in the industry.

Oh well!!!

Subscribe

Share this thread