Follow Us

How long I should wait before attempting the NETA Level 4?

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2015
    How long I should wait before attempting the NETA Level 4?

I just passed the Level III at the end of April. Any suggestions on how long I should wait and continue to learn before attempting the Level IV exam?

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Hard to say how long you should wait. There are guys at my shop who have passed the Level 4 a few years after obtaining their level 3, others have been in the trade for over 20 years and have yet to pass the level 4 after two or more attempts.

I've heard tall tales of the very special few who have passed all three tests in the same month. It just comes down to experience, confidence, and drive in my opinion. I have not taken the level 4, let alone seen much material from the exam but personally I wouldn't be scared to try. Unfortunately, it is up to my employer to verify my field time and register me for the exam first. How about you?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Re: NETA Level IV

I am coming up on my 4 year anniversary in August with the NETA Company that I am currently employed by. My hours worked probably puts me over 5 years worked assuming 2000 hours a year.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    NETA Level IV Qualifications

You need at least ten years of experience in the electrical testing industry, have a minimum of 40 hours additional safety training, and have a minimum of 200 hours of additional training related to the certification element categories for Level IV listed in the NETA-ETT standard before you qualify for the Level 4.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRaz View Post
    I am coming up on my 4 year anniversary in August with the NETA Company that I am currently employed by. My hours worked probably puts me over 5 years worked assuming 2000 hours a year.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    As far as I understand from my co-workers that went for NETA Level 4 is that there are a lot of transmission protection questions (about pilot wire and distance relays). So make sure you study that also

11. Join Date
    May 2018
    Has anyone in this thread taken a crack at the NETA 4 yet?

13. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRaz View Post
    I just passed the Level III at the end of April. Any suggestions on how long I should wait and continue to learn before attempting the Level IV exam?
    NETA IV test requires 10 years of experience in the electrical testing field. It is also a test that is not easily passed without considerable field experience in a variety of electrical apparatus and protection and control applications.

15. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    You need at least ten years of experience in the electrical testing industry, have a minimum of 40 hours additional safety training, and have a minimum of 200 hours of additional training related to the certification element categories for Level IV listed in the NETA-ETT standard before you qualify for the Level 4.
    Thanks for sharing

Subscribe

Share this thread