Info on NETA Level IV Exam Updates

Jump to latest post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Ok. So same difficulty, they just added 16 more questions

3. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    How difficult would you say the level 4 is overall? Is it still multiple choice? What would you say was the most difficult?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinK5 View Post
    How difficult would you say the level 4 is overall? Is it still multiple choice? What would you say was the most difficult?
    It is basically a simplified version of the professional engineering exam except that it's closed book and you need to memorize a bunch of small details about IEEE standards.

The hardest part for me was the standard related questions because I did not have time to study as much as I wanted. I would not suggest taking the test right after the holidays.

The level 4 is the stupidest test I ever had to take in my whole career and I have a foreign bachelor's in electrical power, passed level 2 and 3 the same day. Not saying this to brag, it's just so you can have a feel of how the test is like.

You may get lucky and get a set of questions that suits you and the applications you do at work. Unfortunately for me, only about 10% was related to what I do regularly at work.

Now you don't have to skip a session to retake it so I will be taking it again in 3 months and I'll post a bunch of questions after that.

About the questions:

A lot of HV troubleshooting, communication (GOOSE), IEEE standars, HV equipment testing and calculations, commissioning and functional testing.

Nothing about transmission protection, 1 VFD question, about 5 safety related from NFPA 70E, about 5 NEC questions, 3 LTC related, 3 CT related, 1 xfmr inrush graph related, 2 GOOSE related.

Good luck

7. MartyCoyne is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bravochief View Post
    This isn't going to help you pass the exams, but it may be helpful knowing the structure. Among the improvements is providing 5 answers to all multiple choice questions. Eliminating "none of the above," "all of the above" and "A and B (etc.) only" answers. The intent is to have one correct answer and 4 detractors (wrong answers), with at least one of the detractors very close to the correct answer. This isn't much different than other multiple choice exams except maintaining consistency AND giving you 5 answers to choose from.

Of the things to remember when answering multiple choice exams is to NOT to see or read any of the answers until you have read the question. The first couple of answers (if seen) will influence your answer as you read the question. Remember that at least one of the first two answers is WRONG.

No matter what type of question you are answering, statistically, your first answer is your best answer and more likely to be correct than what you might change it to so be sure of yourself if you change an answer.

It is normally best to go through an exam and answer all the questions you know straight away. This relieves/clears your mind of "ready knowledge" and gets your brain pumping for the deeper, more difficult questions. Just be darned sure you don't forget to answer ALL the questions and be careful keeping your answers in proper order on answer sheets.

These tips might give you enough of an edge to pass an exam you might've failed by a question or two.
    Thank you for your help. I will be taking the exam in July!!

9. MartyCoyne is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joaogemal View Post
    Thank you very much. It is not a big problem. NETA make you skip the following test, I will retake on the Fall section.

There was another question in top of my mind:

1) A switchgear with a CTs and 2 PTs(open delta) to install another KW hr meter and a relay 47. What is necessary? (Don't remember the answers)

2) Two lines, line 1 and line 2, from different sources, feeding a substation, each have two breaker, at the source and at the substation. Line1 has a short-circuit and open its two breaker but also the line 2 breaker there at the source.
    Thanks for the info
    Attachment 43

3) One question about Kelvin Bridge

4) A CT 300:5, C200, which will be the max current for a error of 20%?

11. Join Date
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyCoyne View Post
    Thank you for your help. I will be taking the exam in July!!
    Good luck, Marty. When are you taking the next one?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe

Share this thread