Follow Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NETA and Public Utilities: Are testing requirements the same?

Jump to latest post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    NETA and Public Utilities: Are testing requirements the same?

I was wondering if Neta testing requirements is the same as public utilities because I have been testing for a utility company for over two years and want to know how a possible transition would be to a neta certified company.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    A transition to a NETA company from a utility shouldn't be a problem, you just have to get hired first. There are many guys at my shop who come from the utility. Once you are hired by a NETA accredited company you will be able to sit for the certification exams.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    I spent 20 years in utility power plant, and substation testing, and the biggest learning curve for me was dealing with low voltage switchgear. Low voltage molded case breakers, ground fault relays, bolted pressure switches, and dry type transformers were never in my scope of work, or anything I spent any thought on. The theory is all the same, but nothing can be more monotonous than primary injection testing a couple of hundred low voltage circuit breakers. Medium voltage cable testing comes in as a close second for me for a long boring day.

Depending on your home area you might come across a lot of antiquated, obsolete gear that you will be amazed is still in service.

Don't take on anything you are not comfortable doing, be careful low voltage gear can be as dangerous due to close clearances and proximity as high voltage.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ARNOLD ZIFFEL View Post
    Low voltage molded case breakers, ground fault relays, bolted pressure switches, and dry type transformers were never in my scope of work, or anything I spent any thought on.
    funny you mention that arnold. must be a utility thing. the utility guys at our shop hate doing low voltage switchgear. especially the relay techs lol. bunch of Prima donna's

nothing can be more monotonous than primary injection testing a couple of hundred low voltage circuit breakers. Medium voltage cable testing comes in as a close second for me for a long boring day.
    i feel your pain but i will take sitting at a test set testing breakers over doing 3-point ground testing in some mud pit anyday lol

9. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    The boredom is what gets to me. I don't mind doing anything for a day or 2. Just testing the same model breaker, transformer, or relay all day for days on end gets to be mind numbing.

But on the bright side I have made a lot of money vacuuming up mouse poop and spider webs on double time.

11. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shairzad88 View Post
    I was wondering if Neta testing requirements is the same as public utilities because I have been testing for a utility company for over two years and want to know how a possible transition would be to a neta certified company.
    Take the NICET exam you'll get a feel for what's on the NETA tests and if you pass you'll be NICET certified.

13. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    NICET & NETA tests are somewhat similar. Coming from a utilty background you will need to study OSHA, NEC, and NFPA standards. 2 years experience will let you test for Level II on either I think. Don't know how it is where you are but where I came from testers tested and mechanics did all of the maintenance type work. Keep your eyes and ears open and learn from everyone you work with if you are looking to go NETA or NICET route.

15. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Do you have to be hired by a "NICET accredited company" in order to keep your certification like NETA? I am looking to get a certification I can take with me and is valid no matter where I work.

NICET & NETA tests are somewhat similar. Coming from a utilty background you will need to study OSHA, NEC, and NFPA standards. 2 years experience will let you test for Level II on either I think. Don't know how it is where you are but where I came from testers tested and mechanics did all of the maintenance type work. Keep your eyes and ears open and learn from everyone you work with if you are looking to go NETA or NICET route.

17. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    No NICET is your personal cert. You will need a "verifier" that NICET will accept, who has witnessed you performing job tasks. For Level III you need 5 years experience( 1 year supervising small crews) and a personal recommendation from someone that NICET will accept as knowing you have a capacity for "Independent engineering technician responsibilities".

19. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    What is required to take the NICET level 2? I am interested because NICET seems better. Can you just apply and pay to take the test or do you need a sponsor like NETA?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe

Share this thread