Follow Us

Passed Level 3 last week!!! Tips inside.

Jump to latest post
  1. gerdtsjeremy is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Passed Level 3 last week!!! Tips inside.

Just wanted to give a shout out to all those that submitted level three questions and answers for the practice exams. I religiously studied and used the practice exams as a very useful tool. I am sure that I did not have a chance with out them. So once again thank you and good luck to all those future test takers!!!
    Last edited by gerdtsjeremy; January 28, 2015 at 04:19 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Congratulations on passing your NETA Level 3 exam!

Way to go gerdtsjeremy! What advice would you give someone who is about to take the Level III for the first time?

5. gerdtsjeremy is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Level 3 pointers

Quote Originally Posted by veracon0700 View Post
    Way to go gerdtsjeremy! What advice would you give someone who is about to take the Level III for the first time?
    I would know the schematic for a CO Relay, basic stuff such as pick up, seal in, and the 50 / 51 functions and how they are wired.

The test I took didn't have a ANSI device number matching but it is good to know the basic ones that are on the practice tests.

Know the arc flash boundaries and how they are applied. Know basic stuff about blankets and gloves, level 2 stuff.

Know distances for the different voltage classes as it pertains to metal clad switch gear and concrete walls.

Just remember to read every question thoroughly as they will make slight changes to the wording or answers from the practice exams.

If you are consistently passing the practice exams with 85% and knowing the information above the test will be passable if you take your time. You have 150 min for the test and I recommend using as much of it as you can.

Good luck to all!!
    Jeremy

madMAX is offline Seasoned Member
    This is really good advice. It is important to use your time wisely; if you reach a question you are unsure about skip it and come back later.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2015

11. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Memorization is against Human Performance Culture

Quote Originally Posted by gerdtsjeremy View Post
    Just wanted to give a shout out to all those that submitted level three questions and answers for the practice exams. I religiously studied and used the practice exams as a very useful tool. I am sure that I did not have a chance with out them. So once again thank you and good luck to all those future test takers!!!
    I am glad to hear you passed NETA III. I have been studying to take it and will take it tomorrow. My biggest issue with the current tests is that it is based on individuals memorizing tables, regulations, and specifications. In today's world it has been proven that this is what causes most industry accidents, working from memory.

Human Performance culture teaches that this should no longer be acceptable and teaches that no one should make a decision without physically referring to the appropriate table or specification. I think the tables and specs should be accessible when taking the exam.

This would be closer to what the industry wants in the real world today.

13. Join Date
    Dec 2015
    NEC Requirement for Capacitor Discharge Rate

FYI if you see this question come up on the exam.

460-6. Drainage of Stored Charge. Capacitors shall be provided with a means of draining the stored charge.

(a) Time of Discharge. The residual voltage of a capacitor shall be reduced to 50 volts, nominal, or less, within 1 minute after the capacitor is disconnected from the source of supply.

(b) Means of Discharge. The discharge circuit shall be either permanently connected to the terminals of the capacitor or capacitor bank, or provided with automatic means of connecting it to the terminals of the capacitor bank on removal of voltage from the line. Manual means of switching or connecting the discharge circuit shall not be used.

Subscribe

Share this thread