Follow Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Can anyone recommend some good DLRO leads/test probes?

Jump to latest post
    Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmassman View Post
    I really like what AEMC makes for test leads. Below are 3 styles thatd I like to have a set of depending on the situation I am in. Having a 10 or 20' larger clamp helps me take readings of larger gear when I am on my own, so that why I like having a set of those around! Hope this helps a bit.

https://www.shopaemc.com/product/aem...-kelvin-probes
    https://www.shopaemc.com/product/aem...9-kelvin-clips
    https://www.shopaemc.com/product/aem...o-kelvin-clips
    We took 2 25' extension cord and cut them in half. On one half we put banana plugs (neutral and hot leads), and the other end we bought some battery jumper cable clamps. This allows you to plug an extension cord in the middle and make extra long leads. Since DLRO uses a Kelvin Bridge, the lead resistance is taken out of the equation, and you can test any length of bus by yourself.

I always recommend the end you put the banana plugs on the male plug side, since you then make a nice suicide cord that you could easily put a fused switch on to power up 120Vac equipment if needed.

I can buy 25' extension cords at harbor freight for less than $25 with the 4 clamps. Unless you like spending $200+ on the AEMC or Megger leads.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbi_Rob View Post
    We took 2 25' extension cord and cut them in half. On one half we put banana plugs (neutral and hot leads), and the other end we bought some battery jumper cable clamps. This allows you to plug an extension cord in the middle and make extra long leads. Since DLRO uses a Kelvin Bridge, the lead resistance is taken out of the equation, and you can test any length of bus by yourself.

I always recommend the end you put the banana plugs on the male plug side, since you then make a nice suicide cord that you could easily put a fused switch on to power up 120Vac equipment if needed.

I can buy 25' extension cords at harbor freight for less than $25 with the 4 clamps. Unless you like spending $200+ on the AEMC or Megger leads.
    I generally don't make any of my own stuff for testing unless it is specialty. I'll make my own wire jumpers, "auxiliary power" wires, little things like that. I let my company buy the rest and try to keep the right tools for the right jobs. Awesome way to make some extra long leads though!!! I haven't heard of making them like that until now.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbi_Rob View Post

+1 for homemade extension cord leads. I have a 100' with bananas on one end and 15A clips on the other. Not much I can't measure with those.

Subscribe

Share this thread