Follow Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can anyone recommend some good DLRO leads/test probes?

Jump to latest post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2015
    Can anyone recommend some good DLRO leads/test probes?

Has anyone found a set of ductor test leads/probes that can withstand industrial shut down environments / harsh conditions. The delicate spring loaded ones don't survive long in a paper mill or power house. It's the abuse they are given that is the problem, I know that, but test probes that work well on the lab bench will never make it out there in the field. I feel that sometimes we are using a scalpel to do a job more suited to a machete.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Yes, those puny spring loaded leads that come with the new ductors are garbage. A quick search on the google machine came up with this cut sheet from megger which shows their entire selection of DLRO leads:

http://www.megger.com/common/documen...S_USen_V05.pdf

I have been using the Heavy Duty Fixed Point Hand Spikes for years and they hold up very well. The only problem is getting them into tight spaces. The Helical Spring Point Leads are decent also, they are kind of like a step up from the stock leads. Hope this helps!

5. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Some number 12 solid will do wonders for getting readings in tight places. I learned this trick after trying to get contact resistance values off of a Siemens LA breaker. You have to stick the wire down in between the finger cluster and the frame to reach the runbacks. Next time I see one I will try to snap a photo so you will have a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2015
    dlro test

What manufacture test set are you using?

I like these probes from AEMC, they work great and are more heavy duty than the smaller pencil type.

http://store.aemc.com/Kelvin-Probes-...ers_p_781.html

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    nice tip

+1 for using scrap wire as DLRO probes, using solid works quite nice because you can shape them for precision. To easily make a set of your own set of test leads:

1. cut four equal lengths of wire (mind your test set output current, length is up to you but 10' is a good start)
    2. crimp some spades on one end and cut back about 1/8"-1/4" of insulation on the other (you don't need much to make contact)
    3. Put some tape every 6" on each set to keep everything manageable.

Keep them on your truck because you never know when they might come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by randywright View Post
    Some number 12 solid will do wonders for getting readings in tight places. I learned this trick after trying to get contact resistance values off of a Siemens LA breaker. You have to stick the wire down in between the finger cluster and the frame to reach the runbacks. Next time I see one I will try to snap a photo so you will have a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

11. Join Date
    Dec 2015
    dlro test leads

These might not be what you are looking for but AEMC makes some nice heavy duty clamp test leads for the dlro. I've been using them for a few months now they are great for measuring bus resistance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aemc-clips.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	124
    http://store.aemc.com/Kelvin-Clips-1...ers_p_488.html

13. Join Date
    Apr 2015
    DLRO leads

Yes you can find many different styles and I use the clamp leads, with voltage and current seperated on the handle. They are great.

I NETA BREAK
    Fan of the gator clips!

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjayo View Post
    These might not be what you are looking for but AEMC makes some nice heavy duty clamp test leads for the dlro. I've been using them for a few months now they are great for measuring bus resistance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aemc-clips.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	124
    http://store.aemc.com/Kelvin-Clips-1...ers_p_488.html

I made some similar leads. #12 lead wire, 4 fluke gator clips, four banana plugs, and four insulated banana plugs, put it all together and you'll want to throw those stock leads in the trash. I made mine about 6' long so you can really stretch it out if need be. The fluke gator clips can open really big for the big buss or bolted connections and they are small to fit into tight places. Used them the same day on a medium voltage A-B contactor and in a OCB.

17. ShawnWhitlock is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    raytech dlro leads

[R
    raytech makes the best dlro leads for a 10a unit call raytech and ask for Paul and these leads are rebuildable for a fraction of purchase price
    Quote Originally Posted by barryeeu View Post
    Has anyone found a set of ductor test leads/probes that can withstand industrial shut down environments / harsh conditions. The delicate spring loaded ones don't survive long in a paper mill or power house. It's the abuse they are given that is the problem, I know that, but test probes that work well on the lab bench will never make it out there in the field. I feel that sometimes we are using a scalpel to do a job more suited to a machete.

19. Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by barryeeu View Post
    I really like what AEMC makes for test leads. Below are 3 styles thatd I like to have a set of depending on the situation I am in. Having a 10 or 20' larger clamp helps me take readings of larger gear when I am on my own, so that why I like having a set of those around! Hope this helps a bit.

https://www.shopaemc.com/product/aem...-kelvin-probes
    https://www.shopaemc.com/product/aem...9-kelvin-clips
    https://www.shopaemc.com/product/aem...o-kelvin-clips

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe

Share this thread