Follow Us

Breathing patterns when performing hot work and switching

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Breathing patterns when performing hot work and switching

Just wondering how many of you consider your breathing patterns when performing work that puts you at risk of arc-flash? Are there any other techniques you use to help keep yourself relaxed when performing hot work or switching?

For example, when closing a breaker or throwing a switch to you make it a point to breathe in and hold your breath until the switching is complete? Not many people give this one much thought, but in the event of an arc-flash this could help limit the amount of gases and particles that you may potentially inhale.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Is the idea that your first reflex will be to exhale instead of inhale since you have forced your lungs full of air?

I was always taught to keep my mouth open to prevent eardrum rupture due to overpressure from a blast...

5. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    I remember an arc flash teacher talking about this. There have been many cases where people have died from inhalation of toxic arc flash gasses despite not being severely burned.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    This is what I was taught as well. Pretty much what mksta1000 said, the idea is to prevent you from gasping in the event of an explosion.

Never heard of keeping your mouth open though, that is an interesting concept. Anyone else been taught this?

Quote Originally Posted by mksta1000 View Post
    Is the idea that your first reflex will be to exhale instead of inhale since you have forced your lungs full of air?

I was always taught to keep my mouth open to prevent eardrum rupture due to overpressure from a blast...

9. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Breath in an hold

Quote Originally Posted by electrolyte View Post
    Just wondering how many of you consider your breathing patterns when performing work that puts you at risk of arc-flash? Are there any other techniques you use to help keep yourself relaxed when performing hot work or switching?

For example, when closing a breaker or throwing a switch to you make it a point to breathe in and hold your breath until the switching is complete? Not many people give this one much thought, but in the event of an arc-flash this could help limit the amount of gases and particles that you may potentially inhale.

Breath in and hold to reduce chance of breathing in hot air during an explosion. Also look at switch so that face shield is facing area in case of flash. Bee-keeper style hood may not by such an issue, but if operating switch with just a cat 2 face shield, the back of the face shield can act like a scoop and direct the hot gas toward your face.

Subscribe

Share this thread