Follow Us

Testing spec calls for low-resistance "Megger Testing" to inspect for high resistance

Jump to latest post
    madMAX is offline Seasoned Member
    Testing spec calls for low-resistance "Megger Testing" to inspect for high resistance

Found this in a commissioning spec and it made me chuckle so I figured I would share it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails megger-testing.jpg  

3. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Everything is a megger

That's funny because it seems like the stereotype of test technicians is everything that we do involves using a "megger." I couldn't count how many times people have asked me if I was there to "megger the equipment." One time a guy even pointed to my high current test set and said "that's a really big megger."

5. Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Megger

I've seen several specs refer to megger testing when the design engineer is not familiar with acceptance testing. Megger test seems to be the most widely known so we often hear people ask for megger tests on equipment, whether its appropriate or not.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    copy-paste

Sounds like another rough copy of the NETA spec calling for one of three methods for checking bolted connections. i see little pieces of the NETA spec copied into testing scopes from GCs and comm engineers alot. But hey megger probably makes a DLRO anyway haha.

Baldy
    Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by madMAX View Post
    Found this in a commissioning spec and it made me chuckle so I figured I would share it.
    You gotta love boilerplate specifications. I think most of the bid specs we get to quote on are 80% fluff.

11. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Megger makes a DLRO right? So its kind of accurate

Baldy
    Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    What does Megger mean any more?

Quote Originally Posted by wrh9278 View Post
    Megger makes a DLRO right? So its kind of accurate
    The term "Megger" has traditionally been short-hand for "insulation resistance" measurements. You are checking the quality of insulation in some piece of equipment. I don't know if Megger was a company that made it's bones producing the old hand crank units way back when. Or if it was the term developed because you were measuring Meg-Ohms of resistance. Maybe both.

Biddle-Megger (the company) makes a lot of different test equipment. Among them are a number of Digital Low Resistance Ohm-meters or DLROs. They are useful for measuring resistance across breaker contacts, bolted bus joints, etc.

15. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by baldscreen View Post
    The term "Megger" has traditionally been short-hand for "insulation resistance" measurements. You are checking the quality of insulation in some piece of equipment. I don't know if Megger was a company that made it's bones producing the old hand crank units way back when. Or if it was the term developed because you were measuring Meg-Ohms of resistance. Maybe both.

Biddle-Megger (the company) makes a lot of different test equipment. Among them are a number of Digital Low Resistance Ohm-meters or DLROs. They are useful for measuring resistance across breaker contacts, bolted bus joints, etc.
    It's just like calling your Linemans pliers "Kliens", or calling an adjustable wrench a "cressent" wrench.

Subscribe

Share this thread