Follow Us

LTC Control Cabinet Test

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    LTC Control Cabinet Test

I am a substation tech who usually does installs and maintenance, and I am now getting to the point of I want to learn to test. Heard the PM say a customer messed up their LTC and they need someone to trouble shoot through control cabinet. How would one go about testing the LTC through the Control Cabinet?

ElectricalTestTech is offline NETA Level IV
    Affiliate Member
    Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by ddyson7985 View Post
    I am a substation tech who usually does installs and maintenance, and I am now getting to the point of I want to learn to test. Heard the PM say a customer messed up their LTC and they need someone to trouble shoot through control cabinet. How would one go about testing the LTC through the Control Cabinet?
    Well, I am better at visually showing someone what to do than describing what to do. But what I do, is make sure I have some drawings. The manufacturers drawings may not be like anything you've seen before, from my experience. Usually you have to learn how to read them and understand what you're looking at. But if nothing else, try to operate the LTC in manual, both raise and lower. When you raise or lower, hold the control switch to either raise or lower, and it should only move 1 tap up or down. If it rides through multiple taps, there is a problem. There is a step by step contactor that ensures the LTC operates on 1 tap, then reads voltage, and changes again if needed (In Auto mode).

Just running through basic operations to assess the current condition of the LTC, is where you would start if you don't know anything about it. Definitely consult the manual for the LTC. The manual offers maintenance procedures if you aren't familiar with the equipment. And it always helps to have someone experienced teach you how to work on a piece of equipment. You may need to drain the LTC in order to replace internal parts. Capacitors and motors often go bad in LTC's. Some motors are inside the tank, some are external. Identify what you have and go from there.

I have a little bit of info on LTC's here: http://electricaltesttech.com/transf...d-tap-changer/

Good Luck

5. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricalTestTech View Post

I have a little bit of info on LTC's here: http://electricaltesttech.com/transf...d-tap-changer/

Good Luck
    Thank you for the detailed message! It definitely helps point me in the right direction. Actually, thinking about taking the AVO transformer maintenance and testing class to help boost my knowledge. I spent most of my days building new transformers and repairing them in the factory. So, just got a Jr. field service position and trying to boots my knowledge.

Affiliate Member
    Pro Subscriber
    Thank you for the detailed message! It definitely helps point me in the right direction. Actually, thinking about taking the AVO transformer maintenance and testing class to help boost my knowledge. I spent most of my days building new transformers and repairing them in the factory. So, just got a Jr. field service position and trying to boots my knowledge.
    No problem. I've only got 14 years in the field. And the whole message I have been trying to spread since I created my website, is to expose the testing side of the trade. We spend our whole careers flying under the radar. Showing up in the middle of the night, fixing problems, getting people back online. You can ask 100 electricians what an electrical test guy does, and 50 will say they don't know. The people who respond with any type of answer will respond with an extremely vague answer that comprises .0001% of our job. My hopes are that electricians or other test guys will find my site, and hopefully guide them to a solution. But there is so much more out there than my site contains. I'm working on adding content.

This site is an awesome network for test guys. So if I can help out on here, its just as good. This is a huge platform for me to contribute to and make this site better for all users.

Good luck on your new position.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricalTestTech View Post
    No problem. I've only got 14 years in the field. And the whole message I have been trying to spread since I created my website, is to expose the testing side of the trade. We spend our whole careers flying under the radar. Showing up in the middle of the night, fixing problems, getting people back online. You can ask 100 electricians what an electrical test guy does, and 50 will say they don't know. The people who respond with any type of answer will respond with an extremely vague answer that comprises .0001% of our job. My hopes are that electricians or other test guys will find my site, and hopefully guide them to a solution. But there is so much more out there than my site contains. I'm working on adding content.

This site is an awesome network for test guys. So if I can help out on here, its just as good. This is a huge platform for me to contribute to and make this site better for all users.

Good luck on your new position.
    Thank you, Field Service Techs. are definitely undervalued with the dangers and time spent away from families. Fyi, I tried to post a comment on http://electricaltesttech.com/transf...d-tap-changer/ but it would not post. The reCatcha kept spinning and stopped. The articles were a great read but guessing that is why there are no comments.

Affiliate Member
    Pro Subscriber
    Thank you, Field Service Techs. are definitely undervalued with the dangers and time spent away from families. Fyi, I tried to post a comment on http://electricaltesttech.com/transf...d-tap-changer/ but it would not post. The reCatcha kept spinning and stopped. The articles were a great read but guessing that is why there are no comments.
    Thank you for the compliment. Comments are aloud. The first comment from the IP address has to be approved by me. This just ensures that I am not going to get inappropriate comments. After the first one, you are free to comment. I haven't seen anything on my end regarding a comment. I encourage comments and feel free to try again. It won't show up immediately, but if it's not spam, it will be aloud.

I encourage you to continue using this site. There are many smart minds on here. Some are just quiet. Hopefully you find many answers here!

Subscribe

Share this thread