Follow Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Proper connection for overcurrent relay with parallel CT's

Jump to latest post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2016
    Proper connection for overcurrent relay with parallel CT's

Two parallel feeder cables with individual 400:5 CT’s per parallel run are connected to one overcurrent relay per phase. The proper connection would be:

a. Parallel additive with relay set to 800:5
    b. Parallel subtractive with relay set to 800:5
    c. Series additive with relay set to 400:5
    d. Series subtractive with relay set to 400:5

Please help me solve this question.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by marvinray View Post
    Two parallel feeder cables with individual 400:5 CT’s per parallel run are connected to one overcurrent relay per phase. The proper connection would be:

My guess would be series additive. I'm thinking the subtractive would be polarity swapped on one ct which would constantly cancel out the other ct I would think? which leaves me with additive in series and parallel. I wouldn't think parallel ct's for protection would be very accurate,however in series circuits current adds up. so if you had 400 amps on each primary of each ct your output would be 10 amps,which is what you would see if you had a single 400 and both primary conductors were routed through it. That's how I think it would work, hopefully some others can chime in.....

5. Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by lester mcmanaway View Post
    My guess would be series additive. I'm thinking the subtractive would be polarity swapped on one ct which would constantly cancel out the other ct I would think? which leaves me with additive in series and parallel. I wouldn't think parallel ct's for protection would be very accurate,however in series circuits current adds up. so if you had 400 amps on each primary of each ct your output would be 10 amps,which is what you would see if you had a single 400 and both primary conductors were routed through it. That's how I think it would work, hopefully some others can chime in.....
    If the installation means that the CTs are installed on each cable and monitoring different currents on the same phase, then the ratio would need to be 800:5. Assuming same polarity it would be additive.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by lester mcmanaway View Post
    Think about it, do currents in series really add? Draw a circuit with two current sources in series. Will the current measure differently at any point in that circuit?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2015

11. Join Date
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by marvinray View Post

It would seem that the CTs would be connected in parallel, polarity marking connected together - parallel additive. If you had 200 A on feeder 1, that CT would source 2.5 Amps. If you had 200A on feeder 2, you also get 2.5 A from that CT. 400A total gives you 5 A so the relay should be set to 400:5. Answer A is close but there is no correct answer. It should be parallel additive with a ratio of 400:5. Connecting CT secondaries in series would never work because a CT with no load, like if that feeder was out of service, would act as an open. That is my take here at www.cttestset.com

13. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    INFO

Question 18:

The polarity of a transformer is Subtractive when current entering in H1 means current exiting X1. The right answer will be Subtractive polarity and in parallel with relay set at 800 Amps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1a.png 
Views:	624 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	189
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2a.png  

15. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    It would seem that the CTs would be connected in parallel, polarity marking connected together - parallel additive. If you had 200 A on feeder 1, that CT would source 2.5 Amps. If you had 200A on feeder 2, you also get 2.5 A from that CT. 400A total gives you 5 A so the relay should be set to 400:5. Answer A is close but there is no correct answer. It should be parallel additive with a ratio of 400:5. Connecting CT secondaries in series would never work because a CT with no load, like if that feeder was out of service, would act as an open. That is my take here at www.cttestset.com
    Take a look on this post, there I explain subtractive and additive polarity. This is one of those stupid question.

https://testguy.net/threads/5088-New...=8725#post8725

17. Join Date
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by joaogemal View Post
    Question 18:

The polarity of a transformer is Subtractive when current entering in H1 means current exiting X1. The right answer will be Subtractive polarity and in parallel with relay set at 800 Amps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1a.png 
Views:	624 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	189
    Usually they are all subtractive polarity as shown in your drawing. My take was that they would be connected so the currents were additive and if you had 1 A out of CT#1 and 1 A from CT#2 you get 2A in the relay. Since they didn't use the term "polarity" I went with the currents adding and not canceling. Connect the polarity marks together so that the secondary currents are in phase (I think that is what I posted). The same polarity might be a correct answer but, yes, both subtractive is how it would usually be. I have never seen an additive polarity CT - it is current in on H1 is current out in X1 as shown in your attachment.

The relay is looking at the total current in the two feeders and 400 total amps always gives you 5 A secondary. If just feeder one is loaded to 400A you get 5 relay amps. If just feeder 2 is loaded to 400A - you get 5 A in the relay. if you have a balance and 200 A on each feeder then each secondary is sourcing 2.5 amps for a total of 5A. So the CT value in the relay should be set to 400 to 5 because 400 total amps primary always gives you 5 amps secondary just like it would if you just have one feeder. If you had 800 amps you would get 10 amps regardless of the distribution of load between the cables - but the ratio is supposed to be to 5, not 10. If you had one feeder with a 400:5 you would put 400:5 in the relay for the CT ratio and this is the same thing. 400 primary amps gives you 5A. www.cttestset.com

19. Join Date
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by joaogemal View Post
    Take a look on this post, there I explain subtractive and additive polarity. This is one of those stupid question.

https://testguy.net/threads/5088-New...=8725#post8725
    Usually they are all subtractive polarity as shown in your drawing. My take was that they would be connected so the currents were additive and if you had 1 A out of CT#1 and 1 A from CT#2 you get 2A in the relay. Since they didn't use the term "polarity" I went with the currents adding and not canceling. Connect the polarity marks together so that the secondary currents are in phase (I think that is what I posted). The same polarity might be a correct answer but, yes, both subtractive is how it would usually be. I have never seen an additive polarity CT - it is current in on H1 is current out in X1 as shown in your attachment.

The relay is looking at the total current in the two feeders and 400 total amps always gives you 5 A secondary. If just feeder one is loaded to 400A you get 5 relay amps. If just feeder 2 is loaded to 400A - you get 5 A in the relay. if you have a balance and 200 A on each feeder then each secondary is sourcing 2.5 amps for a total of 5A. So the CT value in the relay should be set to 400 to 5 because 400 total amps primary always gives you 5 amps secondary just like it would if you just have one feeder. If you had 800 amps you would get 10 amps regardless of the distribution of load between the cables - but the ratio is supposed to be to 5, not 10. If you had one feeder with a 400:5 you would put 400:5 in the relay for the CT ratio and this is the same thing. 400 primary amps gives you 5A. www.cttestset.com

This is a duplicate of my post in the other thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe

Share this thread