I wrote my NETA 4 test today... and failed. Here are some tips.
Don't waste your time reading the NETA study material that they give you. I went through it all and did all the Tech Quizzes.... I don't think anything I studied was on the test. NETA updated the exam but didn't update any of the study material. Some of it is outdated and wrong as well.
The study material focuses on Approach Boundaries, testing levels, expected results, NETA ATS & MTS info etc. NONE OF THIS WAS ON THE EXAM.
Here are some of the questions I could remember:
1. What kind of test do you perform on a fibre optic cable?
a. Time domain reflectometry
b. Light domain reflectometry
2. What test value would you use while testing fibre optic cable?
3. At what elevation do ohm readings get effected?
4. When testing insulation resistance on a MV Motors, at what voltage does it become ambiguous?
5. On a main incoming of a 480V switchgear, what class powermeter should be installed?
6. A DCS is sending an auto speed signal for 30HZ via a 0-20mA transducer. The VFD is only outputting 1-3HZ. The mA measured by a mutimeter at the VFD is 10mA. What is the likely issue?
a. High resistance in Auto Speed circuit?
b. AC Component on DC signal
7. A primary injection is to be performed on a transformer 138kV/25kV, 2500kva, 8%Z using a 480V generator connected to the high side with the low side grounded. The expected current in the high side is?
8. A harmonic filter bank consists of a capacitor bank at XXuF and XXXmH. Which harmonic is this bank eliminating?
9. According to ANSI Standards if you can not physically place a lock on a device what extra step needs to be taken to ensure safety.
10. In insulating oil, what gas would indicate partial discharge in the oil?
11. Two 1mH inductors are connected in parallel and in series with two 45uF capacitors connected in parallel. What is the total impedance of the circuit?
12. There is 60 amps measured on the line of a delta transformer secondary. How many amps are in the delta?
13. Two loads are connected to the same soure. Load 1: 1250KVA @ 0.85PF. Load 2: 600KW, 300KVAR. What is the combined load in KVA & PF.
14. What is meant by double insulation?
15. In a 480V solidly grounded system you must _________.
a. Have automatic ground fault tripping
b. Not have automatic ground fault tripping
16. Which SCADA communication is only appropriate for short distances?
17. A battery bank has batteries where the terminals are bulged and the seals broken. This is likely from:
a. Improper charging
b. Increasing plate growth
c. Decreasing plate growth
18. Two parallel feeder cables with individual 400:5 CTís per parallel run are connected to one overcurrent relay per phase. The proper connection would be:
a. Parallel additive with relay set to 800:5
b. Parallel subtractive with relay set to 800:5
c. Series additive with relay set to 400:5
d. Series subtractive with relay set to 400:5
19. A substation has zone ground fault protection. Which statement is true?
a. The main will trip before the feeder breakers
b. The feeder breakers send a block to the main and tie so they donít trip
c. The feeder breakers send a block the main and tie so they donít trip until their designated tripping time.
d. The main will trip and block tripping to the other side of the bus
20. Before using a ground and test device you must perform what test every time before use?
21. Which statement is true about a DCS System?
a. Replaces many electromechanical devices
22. A CT circuit with a CT resistance of 15mohm goes to a SEL-751 (.27VA @ 5A) through 125ft of #12 SIS (.988 ohms per 100ft). What is the appropriate CT class?
23. What is the IEC 61850 naming structure?
24. What is true about Natural esters oil?
a. Cannot be mixed with mineral oil
b. Has a higher PF than mineral oil
25. What would a reactor placed at the end of a long transmission line be for?
26. What is a wavetrap for?
27. A DC drive with a high carrier frequency could cause issues with
a. AC ripple
b. Pulse width modulation
28. What kind of fault on a transformer is shown on the given waveform?
a. B to ground internal
b. Single phase to ground on high side
29. According to ANSI a newly installed battery bank should be load tested after:
a. 1 year
b. 2 years
c. 4 years
d. 5 years
30. Three single phase transformers feed a load and one faults. Connected in open delta how much load can the 2 units support?
31. While testing a 100KVAR 480V 3 phase wye connected capacitor. What would the expected uF be across A-B terminals.