Follow Us

When is Ground Fault protection required on 480V system?

1. Join Date
    Mar 2015
    When is Ground Fault protection required on 480V system?

[QUOTE=slts1991;8503]

15.B (not required, NEC 700.6(D))

The chapter you are citing refers to emergency systems.

I would think the appropriate chapter is:
    "230.95 Ground-Fault Protection of Equipment. Ground-fault protection of equipment shall be provided for solidly grounded wye electric services of more than 150 volts to ground but not exceeding 1000 volts phase-to-phase for each service disconnect rated 1000 amperes or more. The grounded conductor for the solidly grounded wye system shall be connected directly to ground through a grounding electrode system, as specified in 250.50, without inserting any resistor or impedance device. The rating of the service disconnect shall be considered to be the rating of the largest fuse that can be installed or the highest continuous current trip setting for which the actual over current device installed in a circuit breaker is rated or can be adjusted."

Thanks

3. Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Correction

[QUOTE=tallyson71;8580]
    Quote Originally Posted by slts1991 View Post

"230.95 Ground-Fault Protection of Equipment. Ground-fault protection of equipment shall be provided for solidly grounded wye electric services of more than 150 volts to ground but not exceeding 1000 volts phase-to-phase for each service disconnect rated 1000 amperes or more. The grounded conductor for the solidly grounded wye system shall be connected directly to ground through a grounding electrode system, as specified in 250.50, without inserting any resistor or impedance device. The rating of the service disconnect shall be considered to be the rating of the largest fuse that can be installed or the highest continuous current trip setting for which the actual over current device installed in a circuit breaker is rated or can be adjusted."

Thanks
    From a subsequent post it looks like this question may have referred to emergency systems, which should not trip.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by slts1991 View Post

Thanks
    I think I got confused because I had both questions on my tests. Last time I went and passed the test I had the one with emergency systems. You need to read the question properly and not mistake the two of them during your test. On emergency is not required except for audio and visual.

Subscribe

Share this thread