Follow Us

TVRMS2 digital link open with CB in Test Position (Epic MVT)

Jump to latest post
    I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    TVRMS2 digital link open with CB in Test Position (Epic MVT)

Came across an interesting scenario today while secondary injection testing some GE AKRU breakers using the TVRMS2. Has anyone ever got the error “digital link open” on the test kit while trying to test Epic MicroVeraTrips on draw-out breakers in the test position?

Seems to me like there is something wrong here and I had this happen on a couple different units. Once the breaker is in the disconnected position the error goes away and I can test with no problem. I wasn’t able to find anything in the TVRMS-2 user manual except for “Digital link open” means there is no trip unit connected (obviously).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tvrms2-digital-link.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	172

The switchboard is equipped with the Field Programming Package which might be causing the problem. If I had to guess I would say there is a secondary pin somewhere with voltage on it that is opening the digital link.

Has anyone else come across something similar?

3. Zog is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    Came across an interesting scenario today while secondary injection testing some GE AKRU breakers using the TVRMS2. Has anyone ever got the error “digital link open” on the test kit while trying to test Epic MicroVeraTrips on draw-out breakers in the test position?

Seems to me like there is something wrong here and I had this happen on a couple different units. Once the breaker is in the disconnected position the error goes away and I can test with no problem. I wasn’t able to find anything in the TVRMS-2 user manual except for “Digital link open” means there is no trip unit connected (obviously).

The switchboard is equipped with the Field Programming Package which might be causing the problem. If I had to guess I would say there is a secondary pin somewhere with voltage on it that is opening the digital link.

Usually that means a bad rating plug

5. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    your cord

Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post

Ive had the same thing happen in a emergency call and then after further investigation i realized it was the cord causing the issue and ordered a replacement and haven't had an issue unless i use the bad cord.

7. Join Date
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by stevepieroski View Post
    Ive had the same thing happen in a emergency call and then after further investigation i realized it was the cord causing the issue and ordered a replacement and haven't had an issue unless i use the bad cord.
    If i'm not mistaken, this is just a standard male-to-male 1/8" stereo cord. Not sure what you paid but they can usually be found at any electronics store.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by marvinray View Post
    If i'm not mistaken, this is just a standard male-to-male 1/8" stereo cord. Not sure what you paid but they can usually be found at any electronics store.
    I got it from radio shack a few bucks nothing serious.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by stevepieroski View Post
    Thanks, but I know the cord was good in this case because I was able to test many other breakers without a problem. For some reason when certain breakers were racked into test, I would get the error. This tells me it has to be something in the secondary wiring of the switchgear that is tied into the trip unit somehow.

Subscribe

Share this thread