Results 1 to 6 of 6

alternator frequency????

    #1
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    OH/MI
    Posts
    32
    Reputation

    alternator frequency????

    So I've wasted entirely to much time trying to figure out where I am going wrong here.

    An alternator containing eight poles per phase is turning at 1500 RPM. What is the output frequency?
    Your Answer: 100 Hz
    Help: Output frequency calculation for three-phase alternator


    the formula I used to find the 100hz is Frequency=poles X speed/ 60x2
    so 8x1500/120=100
    Am I doing something wrong here??
    Reply to Post • 

  2. #2
  3. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23
    Reputation
    Your answer looks correct to me.
    Reply to Post • 

  4. #3
  5. Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    OH/MI
    Posts
    32
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinK5 View Post
    Your answer looks correct to me.
    That's kind of what I was thinking, however there were 2 of these questions with different values and I missed both of them using this formula. Taking my 3 next week and would really like to be sure I am doing this correctly, last time I took the test I missed passing by 2 questions. I do not want to repeat that.
    Reply to Post • 

  6. #4
  7. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by lester mcmanaway View Post
    That's kind of what I was thinking, however there were 2 of these questions with different values and I missed both of them using this formula. Taking my 3 next week and would really like to be sure I am doing this correctly, last time I took the test I missed passing by 2 questions. I do not want to repeat that.
    Dang, sorry to hear about that. Check out some of these formula examples:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alternator-frequency-calculations.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	156

    Source: http://electrical-engineering-portal...ase-alternator
    Reply to Post • 

  8. #5
  9. Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    OH/MI
    Posts
    32
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinK5 View Post
    Dang, sorry to hear about that. Check out some of these formula examples:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alternator-frequency-calculations.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	156

    Source: http://electrical-engineering-portal...ase-alternator
    appears to be right in line with what I was thinking, wondering why it was marked incorrect. The only other thing that trips me up a little is when " poles per phase" is mentioned. So are you assuming 3 phase at that point and using the given poles per phase x3?
    Reply to Post • 

  10. #6
  11. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by lester mcmanaway View Post
    appears to be right in line with what I was thinking, wondering why it was marked incorrect. The only other thing that trips me up a little is when " poles per phase" is mentioned. So are you assuming 3 phase at that point and using the given poles per phase x3?
    Good question. I would assume that the number of poles given is the total for all three phases.
    Reply to Post • 

Login or register to leave a reply!



Related Topics

  1. Output frequency calculation for three-phase alternator
    By mkennedyShermco in forum NETA Level 4 Exam
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 21, 2016, 12:33 PM
  2. NETA Maintenance Testing Frequency Matrix
    By DetroitLions in forum NETA Level 3 Exam
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 2, 2016, 12:16 PM

Tags for this Thread

Search TestGuy
   Tag Cloud   Advanced Search
Follow us


Explore TestGuy


NETA Certification Training


Help and Support