Follow Us

How often must CPR be certified by an employer?

1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    How often must CPR be certified by an employer?

I just took the Level III practice exam. One of the questions asked, "How often must CPR be certified by an employer?" Being familiar with CPR, and my wife being a nurse, I was sure the answer was '2-years'. But the answer is wrong, according to the NETA III post exam review. Is this a software glitch?? Or are there different standards?

Thanks.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Looks like the answer comes from NFPA 70E. This one article notes the change made in 2009:

The 2009 edition of NFPA 70E – Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace contains several changes over the previous edition. One change addresses CPR training for qualified persons. Article 110.6(C) states:

“…Employees shall be regularly instructed in methods of first aid and emergency procedures, such as approved methods of resuscitation, if their duties warrant such training. Training of employees in approved methods of resuscitation, including cardiopulmonary resuscitation, shall be certified by the employer annually.

NFPA states the employer shall certify training on an annual basis. This does not specifically require annual training. This wording was used due to the refresher training differences between the American Red Cross (annual refresher training) as compared to the American Heart Asociation (biennial refresher training.) NFPA 70E will accept CPR training from both organizations.

http://workplace-safety-nc.com/blog/?p=22
    Does anyone know if this article was updated in recent versions of NFPA 70E?

Subscribe

Share this thread