Follow Us

Who provides locks for hazardous energy control program?

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Who provides locks for hazardous energy control program?

I was taking a practice exam for NETA level II. There was a question regarding lock out tag out.

Locks for lockout of hazardous energy control program must be provided by the?

There were 4 choices.
    1. safety director
    2. employer
    3. contractor
    4. employee

I felt that Employer and Contractor were the same thing? So I went with Safety Director?

Can anyone clarify??

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Employer and contractor can be the same but not always. For example, I work for a testing company who sub contracts to electrical installers. In my case the electrical installer is the Contractor but my employer is the testing company.

It is up to my employer (the test company) to provide me with my own locks in case I need to lock out equipment for testing. I am not to rely on the electrical installers for my safety and it is not their responsibility either (they are paying us to do a job).

Taking it a step further, the safety director at my company may be the one providing the locks, but he is doing so on behalf of the employer. It is the responsibility of the employer to provide safety equipment to its employees.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    Employer and contractor can be the same but not always. For example, I work for a testing company who sub contracts to electrical installers. In my case the electrical installer is the Contractor but my employer is the testing company.

It is up to my employer (the test company) to provide me with my own locks in case I need to lock out equipment for testing. I am not to rely on the electrical installers for my safety and it is not their responsibility either (they are paying us to do a job).

Taking it a step further, the safety director at my company may be the one providing the locks, but he is doing so on behalf of the employer. It is the responsibility of the employer to provide safety equipment to its employees.
    Thanks! I should have trusted my instincts. I originally put employer and changed to Safety Director.

I appreciate the help!

I push buttons.
    This comes straight from OSHA 29 CFR 1910.147:

The lockout/tagout standard establishes the employer’s responsibility to protect employees from hazardous energy sources on machines and equipment during service and maintenance. It is up to the employer to:

1. Develop, document, implement, and enforce energy control procedures. [See the note to 29 CFR 1910.147(c)(4)(i) for an exception to the documentation requirements.]
    2. Use only lockout/tagout devices authorized for the particular equipment or machinery and ensure that they are durable, standardized, and substantial.
    3. Ensure that lockout/tagout devices identify the individual users.
    4. Establish a policy that permits only the employee who applied a lockout/tagout device to remove it. [See 29 CFR 1910.147(e)(3) for exception.]
    5. Inspect energy control procedures at least annually
    6. Provide effective training as mandated for all employees covered by the standard.
    7. Comply with the additional energy control provisions in OSHA standards when machines or equipment must be tested or repositioned, when outside contractors work at the site, in group lockout situations, and during shift or personnel changes.

I push buttons.
    More than happy to help. Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mjeelemco View Post
    Thanks! I should have trusted my instincts. I originally put employer and changed to Safety Director.

I appreciate the help!

11. Kimbo Slice is offline Member Pro Subscriber
    This question got me as well the first time I saw it. Thanks SecondGen

13. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    just

2nd that motion

Subscribe

Share this thread