How to secondary test Square D PowerPact H/J/L frame CB's with Micrologic 3/5/6 ETU

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III
    How to secondary test Square D PowerPact H/J/L frame CB's with Micrologic 3/5/6 ETU

You cannot use the Square D Full-Function Test Kit (FFTK), Hand-held Test Kit (HHTK) or Universal Test Set (UTS3) to test the new Micrologic 3/5/6 trip units found on PowerPact H, J and L frame molded case breakers. You will instead need the Schneider Electric Pocket Tester (S434206) or UTA Tester (STRV00910) to secondary test these trip units.

The Pocket Tester is similar to the old Hand-Held Test Kit. It is a stand-alone battery powered device that can be used to power up the trip unit in order to change trip settings on the circuit breaker, inhibit thermal memory and perform a simple trip test.

The UTA Tester, shown below, is more like the Full-function Test Kit where it provides complete access to the trip unit parameters and settings.

Name:  square-d-uta-tester.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  18.6 KB

The UTA test set can be used by itself to power the trip unit, allowing for trip unit settings, or in conjunction with a laptop computer with the Schneider Local Test Utility (LTU) or Remote Setting Utility (RSU) software installed. The RSU software allows set up of the trip unit while the LTU software performs all of the tests.

Don’t learn this lesson the hard way. A Project Manager sent his technicians a full-function test set to secondary test several HG and JG frame breakers during a scheduled power outage. The technicians were unable to use the equipment so the outage had to be canceled and it was very embarrassing for the company.

References:
    Reply to Post • 

3. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Square d powerpact

You sound like a SquareD field engineer. So, can you tell me why so many secondary injection type devices?

Also, do you know if there a central place where we can view the manufacturer recalls? I heard there was a common finger cluster issue and some tension clips that are commonly replaced.
    Reply to Post • 

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III
    Sorry Hendrix but I'm not a Square D engineer so I can't answer your question. It is frustrating having so many different types of secondary sets, which is why I made the initial post. Hopefully it can help someone in the future.

For recalls, I'm not sure if a central place exists but I do know that there was an issue back around 2008 with specific draw-out Masterpact breakers. I heard the finger clusters could become loose and fall off when racking out the breaker. Square D quickly came out with a Cluster Retention Kit that should be installed to prevent this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
    You sound like a SquareD field engineer. So, can you tell me why so many secondary injection type devices?

Also, do you know if there a central place where we can view the manufacturer recalls? I heard there was a common finger cluster issue and some tension clips that are commonly replaced.
    Reply to Post • 

7. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    The sucky thing about these new units are the test connectors as they are easily broken. On top of that, they look just like the other micrologic connector so it's not surprising someone asumed the full function set would work.
    Reply to Post • 

9. dnigra is offline Junior Member
    New here.

I was a SQUARE D FSR for about 6 years..and even I don't know why so many. I do know that Micrologic LTU test set can be a pain in the neck to operate.
    Reply to Post • 

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
    PEARL has a section on their website where you can find Electrical Safety Related News - Recall and Counterfeit Notices
    http://www.pearl1.org/electrical-safety-news.htm

About the Masterpact finger cluster issue (from Square D):

We have recently become aware of a potential issue with the connection between the clusters and the stabs on some draw-out type Masterpact NW breakers. This issue impacts only the draw-out version of the ANSI and UL listed Masterpact breakers. Fixed mounted Masterpact NW breakers, IEC Masterpact NW and draw-out versions of Masterpact NT breakers are not impacted.

We are currently engaged in a comprehensive investigation and review of the situation. We will communicate promptly the results and conclusions of our investigation and review them with you as soon as we have completed that activity. In the meantime, we ask that you follow the proposed course of action:

• Circuit breakers that are currently racked in, closed and energized do not pose a hazard and should be left in service. These breakers will operate properly and can be operated either on or off as long as they are maintained in the connected position. We will contact you in the near future about whether or not they will require any further servicing.

• If it becomes necessary to rack a circuit breaker out (test or disconnected positions), it is our strong recommendation that to avoid the potential for personal injury or property damage, we request that you not rack the breaker back into connected position until you have contacted Square D and arranged for a qualified Square D Services technician to be available to manage and assist racking the breaker back in before energizing it.

• If you have a current project where energization is about to take place, we also ask that you please contact Square D Services and arrange for one of our qualified service technicians to review and inspect the Masterpact NW breakers prior to energization.

• If in the event of an emergency it becomes necessary to rack a breaker in and energize it without the assistance of a qualified Square D services technician, we strongly recommend that you review and comply at a minimum with NFPA 70E requirements.

http://www.pearl1.org/downloads/Squa...r-Letter-1.pdf
    http://www.pearl1.org/downloads/Squa...r-Letter-2.pdf
    Reply to Post • 

Login or register to leave a reply!