Follow Us

Test tech involved in auto accident on the way to a job

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Test tech involved in auto accident on the way to a job

We had a fellow test technician at our company who was involved in an auto accident in the early hours of Saturday morning while headed to a job.

Details are not clear at this time but from what I could gather he got hit so hard that he was sent into oncoming traffic and his service van was totalled. Keep in mind this is a full sized van that was filled with equipment.

Fortunately nobody suffered any severe injuries but I just wanted to share this as a reminder to everyone that accidents happen all the time. I also thought it would be a good opportunity to share some tips for staying safe on the road:

Get plenty of rest before you drive. Working extra long hours and driving can be a recipe for disaster. Even on a straight highway a sleepy driver can easily drift off of the road.

Don’t speed. Nobody likes to be late but speeding can get you killed. Service vans don’t stop easily with all of that extra weight in the back. Be mindful of heavy equipment in the back of your van that can fly towards the front during sudden stops.

Avoid distractions. GPS, cell phone, radio, food, ect. There are many things that can take your eyes off of the road. If you need to use an electronic device, pull over or go hands free.

Buckle Up. It’s the law. Seatbelts do save lives. When worn properly, they prevent you from being thrown around the vehicle or through the windshield.

Take extra precautions in bad weather. Drive below the speed limit if necessary. If weather gets real bad just pull over and wait it out.

Don’t follow too closely. Find a stationary object on the side of the road. When the car ahead of you passes it, start counting seconds. At least three seconds should pass before your car passes the same object. At night or in inclement weather, double the recommended time to six seconds.

Subscribe

Share this thread