- Use, application, and testing - Identify and record type, construction, characteristics and ratings. Perform insulation, inductance, capacitance, and conductance tests. Confirm correct capacitor discharge rate in accordance with National Electrical Code requirements.
- Capacitors in Parallel The voltage ( Vc ) connected across all the capacitors that are connected in parallel is THE SAME. Then, Capacitors in Parallel have a "common voltage" supply across them.
- Capacitors in Series Capacitors are said to be connected together "in series" when they are effectively "daisy chained" together in a single line. The charging current ( iC ) flowing through the capacitors is THE SAME for all capacitors as it only has one path to follow.
- Capacitive reactance calculator XC Capacitive reactance (symbol XC) is a measure of a capacitor's opposition to AC (alternating current). Like resistance it is measured in ohms, but reactance is more complex than resistance because its value depends on the frequency (f) of the electrical signal passing through the capacitor as well as on the capacitance, C.
- NEC Requirements for Discharging Capacitors Capacitors shall be provided with a means of draining the stored charge.
- The Application and Selection of Lightning Arresters [PDF] To prevent damage to electrical equipment, surge protection considerations are paramount to a well-designed electrical system.
- Checking Capacitor Banks for Failed Capacitors [PDF] This technical note provides background information on capacitance testing of medium voltage double bushing capacitors commonly used in capacitor banks and harmonic filter banks with rated line voltages greater than 2.4kV.
- How to measure inductance of a three phase reactor [PDF] The test setup consists of a variable high current 3 phase 60 hertz supply with meters for voltage and current connected as shown.
External links are provided by our community of test technicians. Please submit any resources that you feel may be helpful to this topic.
Recommended: Study tips for the NETA exam
Share this page