- Inspection and maintenance - Collect and record identifying nameplate data, construction, design, ratings, and components. Compare to project plans and specifications. Perform mechanical services and control component services necessary to assure device operates as intended. Adjust and lubricate as required.
- Critical Maintenance for Circuit Breakers [PDF] This paper discusses common maintenance problems and mistakes for circuit breakers and how to correct them.
- Circuit Breaker Lubrication in the Field [PDF] The clearing time and operation of the circuit breaker is strongly dependent on the quality of its lubrication.
- Medium-Voltage Circuit Breaker Maintenance [PDF] Medium-voltage circuit breakers, breakers for systems with voltages of 2.4 to 38 kV, have maintenance procedures that will vary based on construction of main contacts and mechanisms used to operate these contacts.
- Lubrication and Circuit Breakers [PDF] Choosing and applying the correct lubricant to circuit breakers, while often overlooked, plays a key role in the proper maintenance of electrical distribution equipment.
- Glossary of Circuit Breaker Terms Quick reference of over 150 circuit breaker terms and acronyms.
- Asymmetrical Interrupting Current Rating of Medium-Voltage Circuit Breakers [PDF] The asymmetrical current is an important component of the total fault current. It is critical that not only the symmetrical interrupting current but also the circuit breaker total interrupting rating be greater than the system worstcase available fault condition.
- Testing - Apply insulation, vacuum integrity, gas, liquid, contact, timing, time-travel, operational, interlock, control, and other tests as applicable.
- Testing for Loss of Vacuum in Vacuum Interrupters [PDF] A frequently-asked question is "How can I tell if my vacuum interrupter has lost vacuum?"
- Vacuum Interrupters — How They Work [PDF] This article covers the features of the vacuum interrupter and how they correspond to the ability of the interrupter to perform according to its ratings.
- Vacuum Bottle Technology and Testing [PDF] Unlike interrupters that use oil or gas as the interruption medium, vacuum interrupters have contacts that are designed to work under vacuum.
- 10 Critical Tests for New Power Circuit Breakers The following checks and tests should be performed at a minimum to ensure that a new low voltage circuit breaker is ready to be placed into service.
- A Guide to Low Resistance Testing [PDF] Understanding and Measuring Low Resistance to Ensure Electrical System Performance
- A Guide to Testing High Voltage Circuit Breakers [PDF] This document will help readers to understand what is involved with keeping circuit breakers operating at peak performance.
- Tips for Electrical Testing of Low Voltage Circuit Breakers This "How To" electrical testing document is based on PEARL Reconditioning Standard Section 1200, Revision 5 Low Voltage Circuit Breakers, and discusses relevant test equipment as well as suggested procedures and practices to ensure the quality, safety, and speed of your test-for-reconditioning practices.
- Contact Resistance vs. Millivolt Drop [PDF] Why the difference in the test results?
External links are provided by our community of test technicians. Please submit any resources that you feel may be helpful to this topic.
Recommended: Study tips for the NETA exam
Share this page