- Simple ac and dc equipment - Identify the functions and components of common types of electrical motors, generators, transformers, solenoids and contactors. Be familiar with their uses in single phase, three-phase or dc systems.
- Electric motors An electric motor is an electrical machine that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy.
- Electric generators An electric generator is a device that converts mechanical energy to electrical energy for use in an external circuit.
- Transformers A transformer is an electrical device that transfers electrical energy between two or more circuits through electromagnetic induction.
- Solenoids Electromechanical solenoids consist of an electromagnetically inductive coil, wound around a movable steel or iron slug (termed the armature).
- Contactors A contactor is an electrically controlled switch used for switching an electrical power circuit, similar to a relay except with higher current ratings. A contactor is controlled by a circuit which has a much lower power level than the switched circuit.
- Basic testing procedures - Recognize and understand basic requirements for the evaluation and assessment of electrical apparatus.
- Electrical Maintenance Tests and Inspections for Distribution Equipment [PDF] This quality of testing ability and knowledge will provide the client with a high level of confidence on the integrity of the distribution system.
- Best Practices in Electrical Maintenance [PDF] Maintenance best practices should include components of asset management, preventive maintenance, predictive maintenance, and proactive maintenance.
External links are provided by our community of test technicians. Please submit any resources that you feel may be helpful to this topic.
Recommended: Study tips for the NETA exam
Share this page