- Complex control systems - Understand application and programming of programmable logic controllers (PLCs). Analyze and understand complex and overlapping sequential operation of protective device control schemes, metering schemes, and PLCs.
- Direct Control of Motor Contactors via PLCs and Distributive Control Systems [PDF] A commonly asked question is whether or not the interposing relay situated between the two systems is really needed.
- Complex motor control - Be knowledgeable of variable speed drives.
- AC Drives and Soft Starter Application Guide [PDF] This paper examines the differences between ac variable frequency drives (VFD's) and soft starters, and when and where to properly apply each of them.
- Eddy-Current Drives [PDF] Most electrical adjustable-speed drives fall into five general categories: adjustable voltage dc, adjustable frequency ac, adjustable voltage ac, wound-rotor motor, and eddy-current coupling drives. This article describes the basic eddy-current drive.
- Starting Methods for Large Medium-Voltage Motors [PDF] When motors are large with respect to the capacity of the power system it is often necessary to use a starting method that reduces the impact on the power system caused by starting the large motor.
External links are provided by our community of test technicians. Please submit any resources that you feel may be helpful to this topic.
Recommended: Study tips for the NETA exam
Share this page