- Fault locating - Identify characteristics of cable system and types of faults. Select and utilize appropriate equipment and technology to locate fault.
- Cable fault finding solutions [PDF] This comprehensive guide by Megger explains how to detect problems in high voltage cable using a variety of methods.
- Using a TDR to find cable faults without applying a high voltage [PDF] Although you will still need a combination of test instruments including an insulation test set, in the right circumstances, a TDR can sometimes locate cable faults without the need to apply a high voltage to the cable.
- Applications for Time Domain Reflectometers [PDF] A brief overview of TDR technology with a complete guide to its various applications.
- Basic TDR Operation [PDF] A TDR uses the radar principle to identify faults on cables. A pulse is "fired" down the cable. Any changes in the impedance of the cable will result in reflections being sent back down the cable
- Advanced knowledge - Application of appropriate insulations, shields, and jackets.
- Water Trees are Significant [PDF] Considerable interest exists in the chemical composition of water trees in electrical insulation because of the information it provides about the mechanism of treeing, the possible prevention and detection of this hazard, and the longevity of cable insulation.
External links are provided by our community of test technicians. Please submit any resources that you feel may be helpful to this topic.
Recommended: Study tips for the NETA exam
Share this page